The Desert Gate, Matmata Douz 1 day excursion, as the tire indicates, consists of visiting the troglodyte village of Matmata with its troglodyte houses and its Berber villages and discovering Douz, the gateway to the desert where you will have the possibility of riding a quad or backpack. of camels in the great dunes of the Sahara!
This excursion is an introduction to the discovery of the desert and local life for those who cannot spend more than a day of discovery.
- Duration: 1 day
- Departure time: 7:00 a.m.
- Pick-up: Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation: immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport: 4 * 4 tourist air-conditioned
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Take advantage of pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Cross the stony tracks and discover the Tunisian Reg in 4 * 4
- Go on an excursion to the desert and discover Douz the gateway to the desert
- Enjoy a camel or quad ride in the middle of the desert
- Walk the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see
- Go off the beaten track and experience nomadic life
- Explore local life and eat Tunisian
- Discover the famous troglodyte village of Matmata and visit a troglodyte dwelling
- Discover Sidi Idriss where some Star Wars scenes were filmed
- Visit the Berber villages of Tamazret and Toujane
07h00: Departure in the morning by ferry (a ferry that carries up to 30 cars).
09:45: A short photo stop at the Berber village of Tamezret.
10:05 a.m.: Continuation to Douz the desert gate.
11:05 am: Visit of the sandy village inhabited by the M’razigs (authentic camel breeders). Possibility of camel ride (optional and payable on site 10 euros).
1:00 p.m.: Lunch in a typical local restaurant in the city center.
2:00 p.m.: Departure for Matmata, the troglodyte village, visit to the set of the filming of the film “STAR WARS”.
4:00 p.m.: Departure towards the small village Toujane, by the mountains of DAHAR.
4:30 p.m.: Arrival and photo break with a short explanation.
5:45 p.m.: Return to Djerba by the 7 km long Roman road that connects Djerba to the mainland.
7:00 p.m.: Arrival at the first hotel.
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and your sunglasses.
- It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take some pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
This price is based on at least 4 people. Other people might join you.
This price includes
- The provision of a privatized 4*4 during the day
- The services of a guide and a driver approved by the ONTT
- Lunch (excluding drinks)
- Our services and support
This price does not include
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Access to museums and sites
- Optional walks
- Tips for the guide and the driver
This price will change from 01/01/2023. Any booking made before this date will benefit from the current rate even if it is in 2023
Book this excursion
This might also interest you