The desert gate
Matmata - Douz
The desert gate excursion, Matmata Douz as the tire indicates, consists in visiting the troglodyte village of Matmata with its troglodyte houses and its Berber villages and discovering Douz, the door of the desert where you will have the possibility of strolling by quad or camel in the great dunes of the Sahara!
This excursion is an introduction to the discovery of the desert and local life for those who cannot spend more than a day of discovery.
About the excursion
- Duation : 1 Day
- Departure Time : 7:00 a.m
- Pick up : Djerba and Zarzis (Other cities incur additional fees)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : Air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation : See Terms and conditions
Take advantage of pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
Cross the stony tracks and discover the Tunisian Reg in 4 * 4
Go on an excursion to the desert and discover Douz the gateway to the desert
Enjoy a camel or quad ride in the middle of the desert
Walk the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see
Go off the beaten track and experience nomadic life
Explore local life and eat Tunisian
Discover the famous troglodyte village of Matmata and visit a troglodyte dwelling
Discover Sidi Idriss where some Star Wars scenes were filmed
Visit the Berber villages of Tamazret and Toujane
07:00 : Departure in the morning by ferry (a ferry that carries up to 30 cars).
9:45 : A short photo stop at the Berber village of Tamezret.
10:05 a.m. : Continuation to Douz the desert gate.
1:05 am : Visit of the sandy village inhabited by the M’razigs (authentic camel breeders). Possibility of camel ride (optional and payable on site 10 euros).
1:00 p.m : Lunch in a typical local restaurant in the city center.
2:00 p.m : Departure to Matmata, the troglodyte village, visit to the set of the filming of the film “STAR WARS”.
4:00 p.m : Departure towards the small village Toujane, by the mountains of DAHAR.
4:30 p.m : Arrival and photo break with a short explanation.
5:45 p.m : Return to Djerba by the 7 km long Roman road that connects Djerba to the mainland.
7:00 p.m : Arrival at the first hotel.
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and your sunglasses.
- It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take some pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
The desert gate Matmata - Douz in pictures
Matmata - Douz in video
This rate is based on at least 4 people. Other people may join you.
- The provision of a privatized 4*4 during the day
- The services of a guide and a driver approved by the ONTT
- Lunch (excluding drinks)
- Our services and support
Drinks and personal expenses Access to museums and sites Optional walks Tips for the guide and the driver