Description of The grand tour of Tunisia
It’s a journey through time between the Punics, the Romans, the Arab-Muslims arriving at the Bedouins who move in the desert of the grand Erg Oriental!
During this multi-day circuit, you will dive deep into local life, you will eat with locals in a troglodyte house, you will discover Berber villages and you will spend a night in a tent under the stars in the desert!
Combine cultural visits with discovery, luxury with authenticity and make your tour in Tunisia an unforgettable experience!
About the tour
- Duration: 10 days
- Departure time: 8:30 a.m.
- Pick-up: All of Tunisia (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation: Immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport: Air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 7 days before the date of the excursion
- Take advantage of a pick-up at your address where you are in Tunisia
- Discover Tunisia from north to south!
- Discover the most beautiful monuments and archaeological sites in Tunisia including those listed as World Heritage by UNESCO
- Discover Kairouan, the holy city and visit its great mosque
- Explore the ruins of Dougga and discover the Roman heritage in Tunisia
- Visit Tozeur and hike in its mountain oases
- Take a quad or camel ride through the dunes
- Spend a night in a tent in the middle of the desert
- Discover Tataouine, its ksours and its Berber villages and spend a night in a cottage
- Discover the 3 existing deserts in Tunisia “the Chotts” the “Reg” and “the Erg”
- Visit the island of Djerba and laze on the most beautiful beaches of the island.
Programme du Circuit
Day 1: Welcome to Tunis
Accommodation: 4* hotel
Day 2: The discovery of Tunis
– The medina of Tunis:
This medina, listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, represents the economic and religious heart of the city. Take advantage of losing yourself in the charm of its architecture, its labyrinthine streets and its most interesting monuments!
– The Bardo Museum:
The Bardo Museum is considered the richest in terms of the collection of Roman mosaics! Take the time to visit and admire its masterpieces which exceed 100! Admire Virgil and the two muses or the Ecclecia mater.
– The Archaeological site of Carthage:
This archaeological site sums up the power of the Roman Empire which was built on the Punic ruins… Visit the marvelous hill of Byrsa and learn more about the dwelling of Hannibal Barca, discover the Punic sanctuary and stroll through the thermal baths of Antonin! Take the time to visit the different components of this city with the explanations of your guide.
– The village of Sidi Bou Said:
Take the time to stroll through the alleys of Sidi Bou Said, this artistic village overlooking the bay of Tunis. Taste the marvelous Bambaloni with sugar and don’t miss a good tea at the café des délices. This café, with its beauty and the view it offers, inspired Patrick Bruel to attribute the success to his song!
Total route: 9 km/ 30 min.
Accommodation: 4* hotel (Tunis)
Day 3: The ruins of Dougga
In the afternoon, take the time to visit the famous ruins of Dougga. This UNESCO heritage site is the most majestic archaeological site in Tunisia and the best preserved in the Maghreb. Its ruins are located on a hill, 600 m above sea level and spread over 25 ha, in a fertile area in northern Tunisia.
To visit: Testour – Dougga
Accommodation: Hotel Thugga (Teboursouk)
Day 4: Kairouan the Holy City
Take the time to stroll through the alleys of its old medina, taste its succulent local pastry called “Les Makroudhs” and take the time to visit its unique carpet weaving workshops!
To visit: The Aghlabid basins – The great mosque – The medina of Kairouan
Accommodation: Hotel Kasbah 5* or similar
Day 5: Tozeur and its old medina
On arrival, take the time to discover the old medina of Tozeur. Unique in its architecture and its narrow streets, this medina hides a history and a beauty that is worth at least an hour’s walk!
In the afternoon, explore nature… on foot or by horse-drawn carriage, discover its wonderful palm grove! Admire multi-storey agriculture, stroll between date palms and pomegranate trees and visit the typical brickyards of the region.
Visits: Gafsa – Tozeur
Accommodation: 4* hotel
Day 6: The mountain oases
The afternoon will be an adventure in the truest sense of the word. Fasten your seatbelts and get ready to digest… In 4*4, you will cross the old Dakar Rally track through the famous Chott El Gharsa. Stop at the site of Ong Jmal, admire its landscapes, cross the large hills and conquer the sand dunes before landing at the village of Mos Espa, considered the largest Star Wars set site in Tunisia.
Take the time to watch the sunset over the dunes… Admire the sun setting behind the dunes then continue for a last photo break at the Nefta basket before returning to your hotel
Visits: Chebika – Tamerza – Mides – Ong Jmal – Mos Espa – Basket of Nefta
Accommodation: 4* hotel in Tozeur
Day 5: The hot spring and the night in a tent
Then attack the road and the stony tracks towards the oasis of Ksar Ghilane! With a little luck you will meet the Bedouins with their herds of dromedaries or a Fenec crossing the road at speed. On your arrival, take the time to bathe in the hot spring nestled in the heart of this oasis. Admire the greenery of the palm trees which embrace the ocher color of the dunes.
Continue to your camp, settle in a tent and do not miss the moment when the sun sets timidly on the horizon.
Before dinner, watch the making of the pain de sable, this crusty bread prepared under the embers!
Visits: Chott Djerid – Douz – Ksar Ghilane
Accommodation: Tented camp
Day 8: The Ksours and Berber villages
Continue to Chenini, the Berber village still inhabited, which you will visit with a local guide before enjoying a good local lunch.
After the meal, still with your local guide, set off on a 4-hour trek to Douiret! Cross oases, olive groves and the mountain. Meet flocks of sheep, cross paths with shepherds and learn about herbs.
Arrival in Douiret, dinner and night in a cottage
Visits: Guermessa – Chenini – Douiret
Accommodation: Gîte de Douiret
Day 9: The island of dreams
In Djerba Hood, take the time to walk through its narrow streets and admire the works of art on the walls.
Head to your hotel and enjoy a good lunch and the rest of the day relaxing by the beach.
Visits: Chott Chahbania – Guellela – The Synagogue – Djerba Hood
Accommodation: 4* hotel in Djerba
Day 10: End of our services
Accommodation: 4* hotel in Djerba
The grand tour of Tunisia in pictures
The grand tour of Tunisia in video
The price below correspond to the proposal in the circuit. This price may change according to our exchanges of emails and the modifications you wish to make to the program. We are here to customize the circuits according to your desires!
This price includes
Reception and airport transfers
- Accommodation in a double room in a hotel, guest house or camp according to the program
- Full board throughout the circuit (except in Tunis)
- Accommodation with breakfast in Tunis
- The provision of a private vehicle throughout the circuit
- The services of a guide approved by the Tourist Office
- The services of a driver approved by the Tourist Office
- Our 24/7 support
This price does not include
- Cancellation and repatriation insurance
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Optional activities and walks
- Entrance fees to archaeological sites and museums
- The setbacks to the guide and driver
Book right now