A night in a tent: Description
A night in the tent is not only an overnight tented excursion from Djerba but an adventure and a journey through time. You leave the tourist spots to attack the desert, the spirit of the caravans and immerse yourself in local life!
During this adventure, you will discover Tataouine, with these ksours and its Berber villages! You will explore the sand dunes of Ksar Ghilane which stretch as far as the eye can see and you will bathe in a natural hot spring nestled in the heart of the oasis where the greenery of the Palm trees embrace the ocher color of the sand! You will witness a unique sunset over the dunes and you will sleep in a tent in the middle of the desert! You will visit a cave dwelling and get a closer look at the local life of the inhabitants of Matmata, you will even taste a good rosemary tea prepared by your host!
You will walk in Sidi Idriss in the footsteps of George Lucas and Star Wars and you will follow in the footsteps of a local guide in the heart of the Berber village.
The overnight tented excursion is actually more than an excursion! It’s a unique experience that each of you must try at least once
About the night in a tent
- Duration : 2 days
- Departure time : 7:30 a.m.
- Pick-up: Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team will pick you up where you are)
- Confirmation: immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Benefit from a pick-up from your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Discover the 3 types of desert in Tunisia: Chott, Reg and Erg
- Discover Tataouine, its Ksours and its Berber villages.
- Explore the village of Chenini with a local guide and see the granaries, houses carved into the mountain, and the mosque.
- Bathe in a natural hot spring in the heart of the desert
- Enjoy a camel or quad ride in the desert
- Walk in the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see and experience the 3rd type of desert “Erg” or the dune desert.
- Go off the beaten track and discover the nomadic life
- Watch the sunset over the dunes in the middle of the desert
- Spend a night in a tent in a camp
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family and enjoy tea with the locals.
- Visit the Troglodyte Sidi Idriss hotel and discover the Star Wars sets
- Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane
Program of the night in a tent
At 7:30 am, our team will pick you up from your hotel to take you on an adventure! Leave the island via the Roman causeway, the bridge that connects the island to the mainland, cross the olive groves that stretch out as far as the eye can see and head towards Tataouine!
On the way, by the side of the road, take the time to take photos and discover the first type of deserts in Tunisia “Le Chott” or the salt desert (a salt lake). Continue to Tataouine and take the time to stroll through the local market. I recommend you to taste the famous gazelle horns! A local pastry made with honey and peanuts.
Then head to Chenini, one of the most beautiful Berber villages in Tunisia that you will discover with a local guide. This gentleman will be happy to accompany you for about 1 hour to discover the different components of the village! You will visit the dwellings dug in the walls of the mountain, the granaries and even the mosque which dominates it! You will learn a lot about these Berber tribes and their traditions. At the end of the visit, don’t hesitate to thank your guide with a ticket, that’s what these young people live for.
After 1 hour of walking, you will be rewarded with a good local meal! And yes, a couscous accompanied by a soup, an egg brick and a dessert!
Around 2 pm, we will take the road again for about 1h30 during which you will cross the second type of desert “the Reg” or the desert of rocks! You will come across tribes of sheep, goats and even camels in their wild!
On site at the oasis, take the time to bathe in the hot spring and admire this unique landscape where the greenery of the palm trees embraces the ocher color of the fine sand dunes stretching as far as the eye can see!
You will also have the opportunity to take a camel or quad ride in the desert! These are optional activities and payable locally to local providers!
At the start of the afternoon, head to your camp to settle in and do not miss the moment when the sun shyly sets behind the dunes!
Around 7 p.m., you will have an appointment to attend a demonstration of the preparation of the famous sand bread (bread prepared under sand and embers) after which you will enjoy a good Tunisian meal!
Take advantage of your evening afterwards, to admire this clear and starry sky where the Milky Way seems to be within reach!
In the morning, when you wake up, enjoy a good breakfast overlooking the dunes, then fasten your seatbelts for the second part of the adventure!
Head to Tamazret, a Berber village and then to Matmata where you will have a visit to the locals. In a troglodyte house dug underground, your host will be happy to serve you a good rosemary tea, accompanied by honey and olive oil.
Take the time to visit the house, admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modernity of its inhabitants!
Then, head to Sidi Idriss, the location for filming some scenes from the famous Star Wars Saga before taking time for lunch!
After the meal, head to Toujane, an ocher-colored Berber village, nestled between two mountains. Take in the panoramic views, then visit the village up close. This village is famous for making Berber rugs and honey!
Take the road back to the island of Djerba with a head full of good memories.
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your cream and sunglasses.
- It is best to wear sneakers when walking in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have food allergies please let us know
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad bike ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a scarf or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and around 3 dinars per drink (around 1 euro)
A night in the tent in pictures
A night in the tent in video
Itinerary of the night in the tent
The price includes
- Provision of a private vehicle for 2 days
- The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- Midday meals on the 1st and 2nd day
- Accommodation in tents in a camp in the middle of the desert
- Our assistance during the excursion
The price does not include
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Access to museums and sites
- Optional walks
- Tips for the guide and the driver
Customize your excursion
We will adapt the excursion to suit your wishes.