Pupput archaeological site is an ancient city whose location is about three kilometers northwest of the medina of Hammamet and which is now submerged by the tourist area developed on most of the archaeological site.
A neighbor of Neapolis, of which it had probably been a satellite city, Pupput was first mentioned in 168 after being erected as a municipality ruled by an elected council. It seems to have taken on a certain importance in the 2nd and 3rd centuries during which it took on a great extension and acquired a large number of public monuments.
In the Middle Ages, the city was defended by a Byzantine citadel. After the Arab conquest, the city took the name of Qasr Zaïd before being, in 1303, taken and devastated by Catalan pirates, which definitely sounded the death knell of the city on the ruins of which the coal miners of the city of Hammamet.
“Rescue excavations” undertaken by archaeologists on the occasion of fortuitous discoveries made during earthworks have brought to light and saved part of the necropolis and a large residential area comprising houses, a complex thermal and hydraulic installations. These excavations provided funerary furniture and elements of architectural decoration, in particular, mosaic pavements which reveal a fine art of living.
From 16/09 to 31/05:9:30-16:30
From 01/06 to 15/09:9:00-17:00
Ramadan schedule 9:30-16:30
Open all week