Ancient Numidian city passed under the influence of Carthage, located on the road connecting Carthage to Théveste, the city obtains from the emperor Hadrian (117-138) the statute of municipality under the name of Municipium Aelium Hadrianum Augustum Althiburitanum.
Prosperous in the 2nd and 3rd centuries then seat of a bishopric in the 4th-7th centuries, the city was then deserted by its inhabitants who left to settle in Ebba Ksour, the old name of the neighboring town of Dahmani, which contributes to the preservation of some buildings.
Apart from travel accounts that describe it, the site has seen few archaeological excavations. A campaign that took place in 1895 was led by soldiers who released the mosaic known as the Catalog of Althiburos ships. Excavations begun in 1908, interrupted and then resumed in 1912, clear part of the forum, a main street and a monumental door to a bay, with an inscription dedicated to Hadrian.
Under the aegis of the Tunisian National Heritage Institute, Spanish and Italian teams have been carrying out excavation projects on the site since 2006-2007
The Roman theater is located at the top of a hill. Partially buried remains remain in the middle of scattered blocks only a series of 19 arches, only one of which protrudes from the top, surmounted by five arches on the first floor.