Description of the Djerba Ksar Ghilane excursion
During this unusual adventure of the Ksar Ghilane Desert Tour , you will cross the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg, you will stop on the Jeffara plain to admire a panoramic view and you will discover the famous Ksar Ghilane oasis.
Once there, you will have time to bathe in the natural hot spring nestled in the heart of a plameraie. You will admire the ocher color of the sand dunes which embrace the greenery of the palm trees and you will have the opportunity to enjoy a ride on a quad or on the back of a camel in the middle of the desert.
During this desert excursion, you will have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the heart of local life, to meet Bedouins, herds of camels and above all to savor a good Tunisian meal.
About A day in Ksar Ghilane excursion
- Duration: 1 day
- Departure time: 6.30 a.m.
- Pick up: Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team will pick you up where you are)
- Confirmation: immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport: 4 * 4 air-conditioned
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
Highlights of the day in Ksar Ghilane excursion
- Benefit from a pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Cross stony tracks and discover the Tunisian Reg in 4 * 4
- Go on a desert excursion and discover the oasis of Ksar Ghilane
- Bathe in a natural hot spring in the heart of the desert
- Enjoy a camel or quad ride in the desert
- Walk through the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see
- Go off the beaten track and discover the nomadic life
- Explore local life and eat Tunisian
- Discover the famous Ksar Hallouf and enjoy the panoramic view it offers
Program of the excursion
At 6.30 am, our team will pick you up where you are in Djerba or Zarzis to accompany you on an adventure in the Tunisian desert.
Leave the island via the Roman causeway and head towards the mainland. In a café, between the olive groves, you will have a briefing during which your guide will explain the detailed program of your desert excursion from Djerba to Ksar Ghilane and will show you your itinerary on the map.
Next, head to Ain El Amba, a mountain from which you will have a panoramic view of the Jeffara plain! Take the opportunity to take pictures.
15 minutes later, you will attack the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg. Enjoy this sudden change of landscape and these thrills in 4 * 4!
In the middle of nowhere, you will have a small photo stop, there I recommend you to listen to the silence … It’s really unique, and with a stroke of luck you will come across a Bedouin with a herd of goats, sheep or camels.
Around 11am, you will arrive at the oasis of Ksar Ghilane … A unique place where the greenery of the palm grove embraces the color of the dunes … Your guide will show you the place where you change and you will enjoy a swim in the natural hot spring! This source is also used for the irrigation of the palm groves around!
A few meters away, you will have quads and dromedaries, so do not hesitate to book your ride to cross the dunes and go to Tisavar Fort (the activities are optional and to be paid on site with local providers).
Around 1pm, you will have an appointment for a midday meal… Then enjoy good Tunisian cuisine in a typical setting! The menu consists of a starter, a suite and a dessert (usually a soup – a Tunisian couscous and the fruit of the season).
Take the time to take photos and then take the road back to Djerba through the famous Ksar Hallouf. It is a collective granary which was used to store the harvest of the tribes of south-eastern Tunisia and it includes several Ghorfas.
Discover this unique architecture and enjoy the panoramic view it offers over the palm groves all around.
Around 4:30 p.m., you will be back in Djerba with a head full of beautiful memories.
Good to Know
Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
It is best to wear sneakers when walking in the sand
Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
If you have food allergies please let us know
The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
The quad bike ride lasts around 40 minutes and costs around 30 euros per person.
Do not hesitate to take some pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a scarf or something else) or give tips
The price of drinks on site is around 3 dinars per drink (around 1 euro)
A day in Ksar Ghilane in pictures
Ksar Ghilane in video
Itinerary of the excursion
Price of the excursion
This price includes
- The provision of a 4 * 4 privatized during the day
- The services of a guide and a driver approved by the ONTT
- Midday meal (excluding drinks)
- Our services and support
This price does not include
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Access to museums and sites
- Optional walks
- Tips for the guide and the driver
Customize your excursion
We will adapt the excursion to suit your wishes.