The overnight at Ksar Jouamaa is not just an excursion. It’s an adventure and a journey through time. You will leave the tourist places to attack the desert, the spirit of the ksour and the natural water sources, and immerse yourself in the local life of the people of the desert and the mountains.
During this overnight at Ksar Jouamaa adventure, you will discover ksours and Berber villages! You will explore the sand dunes of Ksar Ghilane which stretch as far as the eye can see and you will bathe in a natural hot spring nestled in the heart of the oasis where the greenery of the palm trees embraces the ocher color of the sand!
You will witness a unique and breathtaking sunset on top of the mountains at Ksar Jouamaa where you will dine and sleep in 17th century Ghorfas, after a beautiful evening in a beautifully decorated outdoor space.
You will also visit a troglodyte dwelling and you will see more closely the local life of the inhabitants of the troglodyte village of Matmata and the Berber village of Toujane.
You will walk in the footsteps of George Lucas and Star Wars in Sidi Idriss and you will follow in the footsteps of a local guide in the heart of a Berber village.
The overnight at Ksar Jouamaa is considered the most requested and best-selling among the two-day excursions from Djerba. In fact, this excursion is a journey through time. From Djerba the tourist town to the top of the Dhaher mountains.
During this unusual overnight at Ksar Jouamaa adventure, you will cross the salt lake of Chahbania and the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg. you will visit the villages of Kirchaou, Smar and Ain Charchara. You will stop to admire the lunar landscape and take photos.
About the overnight at Ksar Jouamaa excursion
- Duration: 2 days
- Departure time: 7:30 a.m.
- Support: Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation: immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport: 4*4 air-conditioned
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office.
- Take advantage of pick-up from your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Discover the 3 types of desert in Tunisia: Chott, Reg and Erg
- Discover the Ksours and Berber villages and enjoy panoramic views.
- Visit the Sidi Idriss Troglodyte Hotel and discover the Star Wars sets
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family, and enjoy tea at a homestay.
- Witness a breathtaking sunset at the top of the mountain at Ksar Jouamaa
- Spend a night in a 17th century ksar and sleep in a beautifully appointed air-conditioned ghorfa.
- Explore the village of Chenini and discover the granaries, the houses carved into the mountain and the mosque.
- Discover the salt lake of Chahbania
- Discover the ksours and in particular the filming locations of Star Wars.
Program of the overnight at Ksar Jouamaa trip
At 7:30 am, our team will pick you up where you are in Djerba or Zarzis to accompany you on a two-day adventure in the Tunisian desert.
Leave the island via the Roman causeway and head to the mainland. In a cafe, between the olive groves, you will have a briefing during which your guide will explain the detailed program of your excursion.
Next, head to the Berber village of Toujane. Take the opportunity to admire the breathtaking landscape, visit a few shops selling Berber items and souvenirs and admire the panoramic view and take photos.
Take the time to visit the house, admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modesty of its inhabitants!
After the meal, take the road to the hotel restaurant Ksar Jouamaa, a stone fortress that stands at the top of the mountain, where the sun mingles with the infinite expanse.
Between the meshes of its stones and the rays of the sun, in this superb 17th century fortress, you will be welcomed by a team of young and professional people, for dinner, in the restaurant or under the stars depending on the weather, and for one night. in an air-conditioned and nicely appointed ghorfa.
Don’t miss the wonderful sunset from the summit where you are.
A few meters away, you will have quads and camels, so do not hesitate to book your ride to cross the dunes and go to the fort of Tisavar (activities are optional and to be paid on site with local service providers).
Around 1 p.m., you will have an appointment for lunch… Enjoy good Tunisian cuisine in a typical setting! The menu is composed of a starter, a suite and a dessert (usually it is a soup – a Tunisian couscous and the fruit of the season).
Take the time to take pictures then take the road back to Djerba passing by the famous Ksar Hallouf. It is a collective attic that was used to store the harvest of the tribes of southeastern Tunisia and it includes several Ghorfas.
Discover this unique architecture and enjoy the panoramic view it offers of the palm groves all around.
Around 4:30 p.m., you will be back in Djerba with a head full of beautiful memories.
Good to know
Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and sunglasses
It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the Berber village
Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
The overnight at Ksar Jouamaa in Pictures
The Ksar Jouamaa in Video
This price is based on at least 4 people. Other people might join you.
The price includes
- The provision of a privatized 4*4 during the day
- The services of a guide and a driver approved by the ONTT
- Lunch (excluding drinks)
- Our services and support
The price does not include
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Access to museums and sites
- Optional walks
- Tips for the guide and the driver
This price will change from 01/01/2023. Any booking made before this date will benefit from the current rate even if it is in 2023