The Tozeur and mountain oases excursion is a unique experience to discover a large part of southern Tunisia. During this excursion you will visit Tozeur the city of palm groves, you will cross the Chott Djerid, considered the largest salt lake in North Africa and you will explore the mountain oases.
You will stroll in Chebika to admire its oasis and its waterfall which springs from the side of the mountain then you will discover the waterfall of Tamerza and the great canyons of Midès.
You will cross the old Dakar Rally track and you will discover the Mos Espa village from Star Wars.
About the tour
- Duration: 2 days
- Departure time: 6:00 a.m.
- Pick-up: Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation: Immediate
- Guide: Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport: air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation: free up to 48 hours before the date of the excursion
- Take advantage of pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Visit a troglodyte house with locals in Matmata
- Take a camel or quad ride in the Douz desert.
- Cross Chott Djerid, the largest salt lake in North Africa.
- Visit Tozeur, its old medina and its vast palm groves.
- Visit the Berber village of Chebika and admire its waterfall.
- Discover the great waterfall of Tamerza and the great canyons of Mides
- Cross the old track of the Dakar Rally in a 4*4 and live a 100% adrenaline experience.
- Conquer the sand dunes towards Ong Jmal and Mos Espa
- Enjoy a good rosemary tea and admire the basket of Nefta
- Visit a homestay cave house
- Visit the Sidi Idriss Troglodyte Hotel and discover the Star Wars sets
- Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane
- Go on an excursion to Tozeur and its mountain oases
In the morning, our team will pick you up at your accommodation to take you on an excursion to discover Tozeur and its mountain oases. You will leave the island via the ferry (Ferry).
A first stop in a café will be the occasion for a presentation of the program by your guide, then you will continue towards the village of Matmata.
Arrival in Matmata, visit of a troglodyte house with a Berber family.
Continuation to Douz, visit of the souk and possibility of camel trekking through the sand dunes (optional and payable locally 10 euros per person).
Crossing the Chott El Djérid (large salt lake famous for its mirages and color effects) with a photo stop.
Then, continue to Tamerza where you will enjoy a good meal at the locals!
Take the time to visit the mountain aosis and discover Chebika and its waterfall, Tamerza and its large waterfall and Midès and its large canyons.
At the end of the afternoon, your driver will take you on a 100% adrenaline adventure. You will cross the old track of the Dakar Rally and the salt lake Chott El Gharsa to stop at the female site of Ong Jmal.
Conquer the great sand dunes to finally land in Mos Espa, the site considered to be the largest Star Wars setting in Tunisia. Take the time to discover, and above all, do not miss the sunset over the surrounding dunes.
The last visit of the day will be devoted to the basket of Nefta which you will admire around a good mint tea!
Return to the hotel, installation, dinner and night.
In the morning, when you wake up, enjoy a good breakfast then set off to explore the old medina of Tozeur.
Unique with its architecture and its local bricks, take the time to visit and get lost in the labyrinthine alleys while listening to the explanations of your guide.
Head to Tamazret, a Berber village then to Matmata where you will have a homestay visit in a troglodyte house dug underground. Your host will be happy to serve you a good rosemary tea, accompanied by honey and olive oil.
Take the time to visit the house, admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modesty of its inhabitants!
Then, head to Sidi Idriss, the filming location of some scenes from the famous Star Wars Saga before taking time for lunch!
After the meal, head to Toujane, an ocher-coloured Berber village, nestled between two mountains. Admire the panoramic view, then visit the village up close. This village is famous for the manufacture of Berber carpets and honey!
Take the road back to the island of Djerba with your head full of good memories!
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
- It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take some pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- Do not hesitate to leave a tip to the family you will visit in Matmata
- The price of drinks on site is about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
Tozeur and mountain oases Tour in pictures
The tour in vidéo
This price is based on at least 4 people. Other people might join you.
This price includes
- Provision of a private vehicle for 2 days
- The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- Lunches on the 1st and 2nd day
- Accommodation in tents in a camp in the middle of the desert
- Our assistance during the excursion
The price does not include
- Drinks and personal expenses
- Access to museums and sites
- Optional walks
- Tips for the guide and the driver
This price will change from 01/01/2023. Any booking made before this date will benefit from the current rate even if it is in 2023